Nourishing Moroccan Lamb Bowl
I love a good slow-cooked dinner and this Nourishing Moroccan Lamb Bowl hits the spot every time! The flavours have a chance to develop and the meat gets beautifully tender.
This recipe is a comforting and nourishing pot of goodness using lamb and delicious Moroccan spices for something a bit different.
I use my large Le Creuset casserole pot for making this and it’s perfect. However, you could cook off all the ingredients in a fry pan and then add to your slow cooker if you don’t have a suitable large pot. You will need to reduce the liquid a little and it will take approximately four hours on high or eight hours on low, depending on your slow cooker.
I serve this with couscous as a traditional accompaniment and my Garlic Cauliflower and Broccoli.
Use my chicken bone broth powder made up with water or just chicken bone broth if you have any. It’s a great way to add in a extra immunity building nutrients.
This recipe makes around six serves and it freezes really well, so there is plenty for leftovers.
- 1 kg lamb, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons mild olive oil as needed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut into small pieces and rehydrated in boiling water
- ¼ cup raisins, soaked with apricots
- 1 pinch saffron
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup toasted almond slivers or ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or use my chicken broth salt)
- 1 handful of parsley (save stalks)
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth powder made up with 2 cups water (or use 2 cups chicken broth)
- ¼ cup white wine
- Brown seasoned lamb on a medium high heat in a mild olive oil in small batches and set aside
- I use my cast iron Le Cresuet for easy one pot cooking but any large heavy based stock pot will work.
- Add carrots, onion and celery to the pot and fry off gently over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add extra olive oil if needed but you should have a bit of lamb fat and olive oil left over.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for thirty seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Add the sweet potato and chopped parsley stalks and cook briefly.
- Add the lamb, raisins, chickpeas, apricots. nuts and chicken bone broth.
- Add in the spices.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Slow cook for approximately 2-3 hours with the lid on.
- Top with the chopped parsley.
- Serve with couscous and steamed vegetables.