Nourishing Postpartum Mums with Bone Broth
Nourishing postpartum mums with bone broth is an ancient and traditional method of postnatal recovery that can be seen in many cultures across the world.
The fourth-trimester (aka postpartum or postnatal) is a time of readjustment for new mums. The body has undergone a hugely strenuous process with pregnancy and labour.
Adequate postpartum care including rest and nourishment with food is vital to avoid adrenal burnout and postnatal depletion which can often be a factor in postnatal depression. Mums who breastfeed also have a higher need for restorative and nourishing nutrients. A good support network, a holistic bodywork with a qualified postnatal therapist and supportive postpartum products are all fantastic to help with recovery.
Bone broth is the ultimate postpartum healing food and if you can make bone broth the first meal after giving birth, it will have great benefit to mum and baby as it’s easy to digest and nutrient-dense.
While all bone broth is beneficial, I wanted to make a specialist bone broth with added ingredients especially designed to support postpartum healing and recovery. After consultation with doula, Louise Mackie from Yogi Tree, I came up with the recipe for a very nourishing Postpartum Healing Bone Broth.
The broth is handmade in small batches with lots of love from local, ethical ingredients. It is then gently dried and made into bone broth powder and bone broth strips. This makes consuming the broth super convenient and fuss free. The powder just needs boiling water added to use as a warming drink or it can be used in cooking. The strips are simply eaten as they are with no preparation needed.
The Postpartum Healing Broth contains locally sourced spray-free chicken bones, vegetables, seaweed, goji berries and herbs and spices that are all specifically tailored to postpartum healing, digestion and breastmilk production. I can’t find anyone else making a specialist postpartum bone broth, so I am really excited to be able to help nourish new mums!
Here is why the Postpartum Healing Broth is so nourishing:
- Collagen, gelatine, elastin and hyaluronic acid help restore and heal joints, tendons and ligaments after pregnancy and birth and help with skin repair. Your body produces relaxin when pregnant to loosen ligaments so broth can really help support joints and prevent injury while in recovery.
- Rich in minerals like iron, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium and easily absorbed by the body.
- Rehydrates the body after labour (you can lose a lot of fluid in this process).
- Help restore liver function after birth.
- Amino acids, glycine and proline are great for soft tissue and wound healing that can happen in labour due to c-sections, episiotomy and perineal tears.
- Herbs that are traditionally used for postnatal healing, rejuvenation, digestion and milk production.
- Spices rich in phytonutrients and that aid digestion (constipation can be an issue in new mums).
- Goji berries are used traditionally in Chinese culture for postpartum healing to detoxify the body, support the liver and invigorate the kidneys. They also help to reduce stress and fatigue and enrich the blood.
- Tasmanian kelp helps provide iodine for proper functioning of thyroid hormones which help with breastfeeding.
- Ginger is a traditional postpartum recovery food for warming, nourishing, aiding digestion and moving the blood.
The Postpartum Healing Bone Broth is packed full of goodness, ethically produced and super convenient for postpartum mums to get a nourishing broth with minimal time, effort and preparation.
I hope you love it and look forward to hearing your feedback!