Magnesium is such an important mineral for our wellbeing! A deficiency in this mineral is very common.
What does magnesium do in the body?
So many things! Many of the systems in the human body require this mineral to function. Our cardio-vascular system (heart health) and cognitive function (brain health) are particularly vulnerable to a lack of magnesium.
How can you tell if you are deficient?
There are numerous symptoms of deficiency. From a general lack of energy, through to aches and pains and tight or cramping muscles, many common symptoms of stress can be traced back to a lack of magnesium.
Headaches, migraines, insomnia, joint pain, and even such things as depression and anxiety can respond very quickly to raising the body’s magnesium levels.
What can magnesium help with?
- Increases the release of DHEA – our youth hormone
- Encourages healthy, glowing skin
- Supports the repair of damaged skin cells
- Helps to facilitate safe and effective detoxification
- Helps relieve muscular aches and pains, cramps and spasms
- Relieves sore throats
- Improves muscle function
- A natural cellular protectant
- Increases energy levels
- Elevates moods and helps to relieve stress
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Helps to calm overactive nerves
- Supports the balance of the hormonal system
- Improves insomnia and sleep quality
- Alleviates eye twitching
- Relieves growing pains
- Supplemented with calcium, may help reverse osteoporosis
- Helps regulate high blood pressure
- May help lower the risk of coronary heart diseases
- Helps decrease the risk of diabetes
- Treats migraines and headaches
- Helps calm the symptoms of depression, panic attacks and anxiety
- Relief from PMS and menopause symptoms
Where can you find magnesium?
You can find this amazing mineral in whole foods such as:
- dark chocolate
- fatty fish like salmon and mackerel
- leafy greens
You might like to try my magnesium rich (and delicious) chocolate recipe.
Many people also need to add a supplement to their diet as conditions like pyroluria can mean an increased need for extra of this important mineral.
The magnesium I take and recommend is Ancient Lakes. I love it so much, I have ordered it in and stock it on the website and at my market stalls.
Ancient Lakes is a small family business based in Perth, Western Australia. The Lister family has harvested mineral-rich salt from pristine ancient salt lakes in Western Australia for over three generations.
The salt is created anew every year on the lake’s surface by the rain, sun and wind, protected inside a Salt Harvest Sanctuary that guarantees its purity. Below the salt layer lies a unique source of magnesium and other essential trace elements. This is commonly known as magnesium ‘oil’, but in fact is a concentrated ionic magnesium solution properly known as ‘bitterns’.
Their sample pack is a great way to try out Ancient Lakes!
Do you feel better with more magnesium in your diet?
PS this information is general in nature and you should always consult your medical professional for a specific diagnosis and treatment plan.