Bone Broth for Gut Health
Bone broth is one of the simplest, cheapest and best things you can do for your gut health.
A healthy gut consists of a diverse range of bacteria or gut flora. You have to constantly nourish it and feed it to ensure your gut stays happy.
“Leaky Gut Syndrome’ is a very common health problem these days. Dr Libby Weaver says that more people have it than not!
This is when your gut becomes permeable due to certain lifestyle factors: poor diet, stress, processed foods, long-term contraceptive use, bacterial and fungal overgrowths etc.
Undigested food particles can slip through the gut lining and pass into the bloodstream. Your immune system sees these food particles in your blood as foreign and mounts an inflammatory immune response. Over time this can be a contributor to health problems, including autoimmune issues.
Poor gut health is linked to so many health issues like asthma, skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema, heart disease, depression and we are still discovering more!
Prioritising your gut health is so important for everyone.
Why is bone broth is good for gut health?
- Glycine – a healing amino acid found in bone broth that specifically helps to heal your gut
- Gelatin – a cooked version of collagen that assists in digestion and absorption of food
- Glutamine – an amino acid that acts as a fuel source for your gut and intestinal cells
- Proline – an amino acid that helps heal wounds to promote gut health
- Hydroxyproline – a non-essential amino acid found in bone broth that promotes gut health
- Collagen – nourishes your intestinal walls and decreases gut inflammation.
- Electrolytes – to hydrate your gut and whole body
So if your gut and digestion needs some help, try drinking a cup of bone broth every day! It’s easy and tastes good.
If you don’t want to make your own bone broth, bone broth powder is a convenient option. Just add boiling water to a teaspoon or two of bone broth powder, stir and drink. You might like to add some flavourings like salt and pepper, lemon, herbs, chill or anything you like.
You can buy my bone broth powder here. I have a range of different flavours and options to suit everyone!
Consuming bone broth for gut health is one of the best things you can do for your health. Do you need to start looking after your gut?
Sources: Bluebird Provisions