Don’t waste your carrot top greens!
Carrot top pesto.
I was searching for Basil at the farmers market. In Tasmania it was currently out of season. Talking to a Japanese vegetable stall holder I enquired about the basil season. Pesto was on the menu. He suggested using the carrot top greens from the carrots I was holding.
So I went home and googled carrot greens. Sure enough just like odo it.’ur celery tops, beetroot tops etc there was a high nutritional profile on EDIBLE carrot greens.
So here is my recipe below for Carrot Green Pesto. Because I was lucky enough to purchase spray free carrots I have used the whole plant. Tops for pesto, carrots sticks for dipping and the carrot peel I have frozen to add into my Bone Broths.
I used half the pesto for a snack for the kids today and added some more olive oil to preserve it and popped it in the fridge for chicken pesto tomorrow night for dinner.
- 1 bunch carrot tops (Thermomix approx 50g)
- 1 bunch curly leaf parsley (60g)
- ¼ cup pine nuts or mixed pine nuts & cashew nuts (30g)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (60g) (nutritional yeast can be used if dairy free)
- ¼ cup olive or macadamia oil (more if you like it smoother)
- Place all the ingredients(except the oil) in a food processor (or you can use a hand held stick mixer).
- Blitz until the nuts are fine and the ingredients are well combined.
- Add in the oil of choice and slowly blend through.